In 2004, a law was issued to organize Qatar University. This law stipulated that Qatar University has a council of trustees comprising 10 to 15 members representing businesspersons, diplomats and personalities with experience and good judgment. It is responsible for undertaking the overall supervision over the university and all the affairs pertaining to drawing up the plans; providing all the requirements whereby to reach the university's goals; following up the agreed plan on university education and researches; endorsing the general policy of admission, the regulatory rules, degree awarding in addition to the organizational structure of the university; and approving the introduction of study programs.
All university faculties award the degree of Bachelor to their students. They continuously seek to streamline and update their programs in order to cope with the requirements of labor market, successive needs of society and the global developments in the academic sphere. Each faculty draws out its own well-studied strategy which ensures reaching out to public and private organizations and institutions. All faculties endorse the constituent program which is a prelude to qualification in the specialization in English language and scientific subjects such as Mathematics and Computer sciences.
Faculty of Education:
It comprises four departments :
1) Department of Psychology: it teaches programs on Psychology and Psychiatry.
2) Department of Educational Sciences: it comprises a program on fundamentals of Education, teaching curricula and methodologies as well as teaching technology.
3) Department of Technical Education.
4) Department of Physical Education and Sports sciences.
Faculty of Arts and Science:
It comprises eight departments:
1) Department of Media and Information Sciences: it comprises specialization in Media, Information and Library sciences.
2) Department of Humanities: it comprises History, Geography and Philosophy.
3) Department of Social sciences: it comprises Sociology and Social Service.
4) Department of Foreign Languages: it comprises specialization in English Language.
5) Arabic Language Department: it comprises specialization in Arabic Language, and also specialization in Arabic Language for non-Arabic speakers.
6) Department of Chemistry and earth's sciences: it comprises specialization in Chemistry, Geology and Marine sciences.
7) Department of Biology: it comprises specialization in Biological and Agricultural sciences.
8) Department of Health Sciences: it comprises specializations like Medical vitality, Human Nutrition and Nursing.
Faculty of Sharia'a and Islamic Studies:
It was established in 1977 with a view to providing students with the principles of Islamic Sharia'a, basis of Islamic studies and rehabilitation of Guides and Dawa propagators, who are capable of delivering Islamic Dawa. The Faculty also help meet society needs of teachers, judges and lawyers. It comprises three departments: Origins of Faith, Jurisprudence (Fiqh), Islamic Dawa and Culture.
Faculty of Law:
It was established in 2004/2005 university academic year following the cessation of Law Department from Faculty of Sharia'a, Law and Islamic studies so as to graduate specialists in the field of Legal and Judicial studies.
Faculty of Engineering:
The Faculty of Engineering was established in 1980 with the aim of preparing qualified engineers to support industry, construction and laboratory sectors. It comprises the following departments:
1) Electrical Engineering.
2) Chemical Engineering.
3) Civil Engineering/ Architecture ( for female students).
4) Mechanical Engineering/Industrial Engineering and Systems ( for female students).
5) Engineering and Computer Sciences: including Computer Engineering and Sciences.
Faculty of Administration and Economics:
It was established in 1985 to prepare qualified graduates in the fields of economics, administration and accountancy which represent a vast area of employment sectors in the State of Qatar. The Faculty comprises four departments: Economics, Accountancy, Business Administration and Financial and Banking studies.
The university is currently reconsidering the majority of programs proposed by the concerned faculties and scientific departments for the development of its current programs, the initiation of new ones and the implementation thereof - in the manner that copes with the requirements of the society.
- Higher Studies:
Study already started under the program of higher education. Students who were accepted to enroll started the program qualifying them for MA in Public Administration.
- Long-term planning:
In collaboration with the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) the university managed to finalize a comprehensive strategic plan. A higher committee at the university level is now following the implementation of the plan and its application on the ground.
- Quality Assurance:
The university, in collaboration with Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (UK), completed a comprehensive self-appraisal of the university and the relevant final report was prepared. Thus, the university would be enabled to identify points of weakness and strength.
Permanent Education Office:
The Permanent Education and Community Service Office was established in 1995 to activate the role played by the university in providing members of the Qatari society with the necessary skills and expertise in order to secure the continuity of institutional development of the state. The office also seeks to establish and develop mutually beneficial vocational partnerships between the university and the various local and regional institutions.
Scientific Research Office:
The University of Qatar developed a new organizational charter which includes a scientific research office which is represented in the office of the Deputy Assistant of the President of the university for research affairs, it comprises several research units, the most important of which are the following:
Scientific and Applied Research Center (SARC), units of Scientific Publications, Central Laboratory and Engineering Material Technology.
Center For Environment Studies (ESC):
The (ESC) was established in 1980 to cater for supporting scientific research and applying modern technology in various areas of development as well as following scientific progress. The Center further comprises several units concerned with environmental studies, the latest of which is the unit for Remote Sensing which analyses the pictures taken by satellites and carry out variety of research and studies of proven usefulness to several bodies in the state.>
Gas Processing Centre:
Represents a qualitative transformation for the research centers approved by the council of trustees.
The Central Laboratories Unit:
This unit carries various analyses and activities in addition to organizing a number training courses pertaining to quality of air, pollution, quality control, using measurement instruments and stations for monitoring air pollution.
Scholarships awarded by Qatar National Research Fund:
some of them is for students under supervision of lecturers and some for is specified for the programme of the national research priorities.
a. Undergraduate Research Experience Program.
b. Research scholarships for the national research priorities: these scholarships are allocated for researchers inside Qatar and abroad and subject to international evaluation.
- The Students' Deanship participated in many exhibitions as well as cultural, social and artistic functions at the level of the GCC member States.
- The university organized several artistic exhibitions at the university campus.
- The university received a number of visiting students' delegations from Arab universities.