Legal Affairs Dep.
The Legal Affairs Department performs the following functions:
1-To give legal advice on issues referred to it.
2-To prepare and formulate drafts of legislations relating to Ministers and give opinion on drafts of legislations referred to Ministry.
3-To study drafts of treaties and international conventions to which the State of Qatar intends to accede as well as give legal advice with regard to signing or acceding to them, in coordination with competent Ministries and governmental authorities and Ministry's offices.
4-To monitor treaties and international conventions in relation to renewing, extending or terminating them as well amendments introduced, in cooperation with competent authorities in the State.
5-To address issues relating to regional and international courts and monitor work of specialized legal committees and decisions issued by them in regional and international fields as well as study extent of their conformity to the State of Qatar's laws and supreme interests.
6-To take necessary measures to conclude treaties and agreements of which the State of Qatar is signatory, ratify, publish and deposit them with specialized regional and international organizations, in cooperation with the International Organizations and Conferences Department at MOFA.
7. To prepare files relating to agreements and treaties to which the State of Qatar is a signatory and maintain them, in cooperation with competent authorities.
8. To study issues and topics of a legal nature relating to the State of Qatar's interests abroad and its diplomatic and consular missions, and give advice on measures needed to protect them, in cooperation with the competent authorities.
9. To prepare, revise and formulate drafts of contracts concluded by MOFA as well as its diplomatic and consular missions and refer them to the competent authorities for review, and monitor obstacles facing their implementation.
10. To investigate acts and violations attributed to MOFA's personnel other than members of the diplomatic and consular services referred by the Minister or Under-Secretary as well as report on the findings together with legal opinion and follow up implementation of related decisions.
11. Addressing the legal aspects relating to all treaties, agreements and memoranda of understanding, protocols and international regulations that bind the State abroad or may be bound by and to ensure the necessary measures for their approval, ratification, acceptance, accession and publication.
12. Looking into diplomatic and consular disputes and all the legal aspects related to the Ministry's activities abroad.
13. Preparing drafts for treaties which are decided to be concluded with Arab and foreign countries.
14. Keeping the original copies of all treaties and diplomatic documents relating thereto and the instruments of ratification, acceptance or accession to all international treaties which the State is a signatory thereof.
15- Follow up disputes and cases to which the Ministry is a part in coordination with the competent authorities.